The 2019 Bead Challenge
Call for Entries!
In the United States, every second of every day, 1,500 plastic bottles are discarded. Americans send more than 38 billion water bottles to landfills every year, the equivalent of 912 million gallons of oil. 91% of plastic waste isn’t recycled. Since most plastics don’t biodegrade in any meaningful sense, all that plastic waste could exist for hundreds or even thousands of years. Every year, 8 million metric tons of plastic ends up in our oceans. It’s equivalent to five grocery bags filled with plastic for every foot of coastline in the world.
Your challenge is to “upcycle” some of this plastic into either an ornamental or a wearable item. That means you take some of this plastic & make it into something better. There is no fee to submit – & prizes will be awarded to winners! Submissions are to be entered at this year’s Bead Society Member Holiday Party on Saturday December 14th, 2019 at the Bowers Kidseum, 1802 N Main St, Santa Ana, CA 92706. Jurying will also take place at the holiday party with prizes awarded. The type of prizes will be published during September on this web page.
1. The Challenge is open to Bead Society members only. One entry per member.
2. Your entry must contain at least one single use item of plastic – something made out of plastic that would otherwise have been discarded (i.e. plastic straws, caps, bottles, grocery bags, credit/hotel cards, utensils, cups, toothbrushes, Styrofoam trays).
3. Your entry must also include beads. The amount is up to you. It may also include findings, other objects and materials.
4. The item has to be newly created for the bead challenge.
5. You may create any piece, using any techniques.
6. Your entry can be either a sculptural object or a wearable item (jewelry, clothing). There is no size limitation.
7. Submit your finished piece at the 2019 annual member holiday party on Saturday, December 14th at the Bowers Kidseum, 1802 N Main St, Santa Ana, CA 92706. All submitted entries will be numbered for anonymous jurying.
8. Winners and cash prized will be announced and awarded immediately after jurying at the holiday party. Winners need to be present to collect their prize award. All entries are retrieved by their makers after the event. The Bead Society is not responsible for entries not claimed after jurying and awarding of prizes.
Contact Doris Weinbaum email@example.com if you have questions.